Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Dave Brubeck - Impressions of N.Y.

Dave Brubeck:

Sixth Sense:


This composition has quickly become one of my favorites. Just listening to a tune more than once in one sitting really shakes the dust from my mind. The songs that I really like these days are the ones I listened to over and over when I was a young man... often because I had very few albums to play. This one pops to life after a transition from a faraway echoing piano solo background and continues in the foreground with the same dreamy attributes. It is not as pretentious as many jazz compositions that I often listen to once and rapidly forget.


For comparison of the effect used in the tune's intro... try the courtyard queue music played in the Disney's Tower of Terror attraction misty courtyard queuing line.